Saturday, September 22, 2007

I love the rain.

I love a rainy afternoon, cloudy skies, dripping trees, water running down the windows, the smell of the soft dirt and wet wood.

I love the sounds, everything's different; it is quiet, the normal sounds of an afternoon are gone. Above all is the carried sound of dripping, thumping, almost a clicking... whatever it is, it is constant – continuous, steady. Soothing, like a night ride on a train. Voices are softer, people run inside to hide, normal activities cease.

It makes me want to hold a hot cup of coffee.

I want to see the steam from my cup rising to meet and mix with my breath in front of my face.

It's crisp and cold. It might snow, but I'm still strolling around in a sweatshirt, now soaking wet.

The water, softly like tears, is rolling down my face and everything that I can see.

Suddenly I can see and feel, externally, everything I am inside, now reflected, carried up and out to be shared with everyone else walking around in this world with me. Can you see it? Can you feel it? Watch, listen; these things don't need to be spoken. Let's just sit here and feel it. Together.


It's beautiful.

There is no wind. Everything is still. Content. At peace. Sliding along the edges of joy. It catches and holds like the clouds, hiding the mountains, revealing the trees, loose and soft, drifting and mysterious. Dripping with joy, but withholding happiness, steeped in melancholy. Here I am. Oh, there you are. That's okay, we can sit here together for a while. I've got nowhere to be, and if I did, well, it's gone now. We can wait for tomorrow.

--

Consequently, shooting a highlight video for a couples conference at Hume Lake in the rain is quite adventuresome, and not very easy. Oh, yeah, and very, very wet.

I hear that there is snow above seven thousand feet. Possibly up to 18”. I am going to go exploring in Shifty tomorrow and see if I can find some of this snow.

1 comment:

  1. wow, i just read your blog (and then FINALLY added it to my page) and
    you're right! :) rain for us san diegoangnas evokes different
    emotions because we rarely get it. love it man, LOVE IT!

    `jon

    ReplyDelete