Saturday, February 9, 2008

Joie de Vivre


I wish that I had something to say.

Do I have anything to say?

What should I say, do I have a voice, do I use it?

Should I use it?

So many that have gone before me have spoken,

have seen the world they live in, and spoken out loud.

I feel compelled to speak, to have a voice.

Am I the complacent silent?

Are we?

What would we speak about?

To write the words of the poet

To sing the songs of the lover

To dream all my dreams out loud

To paint all the waves of the artist

To shine all the light of the eye

To show all the scenes of my dream

Let the words fly, let the songs out

Let the cameras roll, don't close your eyes

When I go,

I want to go with my hands all messy with paint

'cause I didn't get all washed away.


Somewhere I've been

Maybe just who I am

I was made to hold,

but only so much;

I can't hold it any more.

An artist, a musician, a poet,

Some read my words

Some see my images

Many more my work: moving frames and sound

Yet

Few have seen the paint from my own fingers:

wrapped away in some closet, dusty and dim

Few are they who hear my voice

And no one hears my song.



I do not speak

I do not shout

I sing where none can listen

I dream alone in my bed


Yesterday,

I heard songs

Real and live

New and shy

they were sung and we heard it

we felt it and we knew it

we said it should be heard on stage,

recorded on an album: 15 songs, someone said.

I was glad that she had played.

But, oh, how I ached deep, deep, deep within.

I held a guitar in my lap, with no skill to play

I held air in my lungs, with no words to say

If I could just SCREAM and let it out,

I would have, but I couldn't;

I almost walked outside and tried

If I could peel back my skin

so all who need to see would see...

I don't even know what it looks like, what it is

But it must come out

it must

It Must

IT MUST

Be spoken,

Written,

Captured and Displayed

It must be sung.

Is it even written?

Did I write it?

Was it written long ago?

This happens every time.

It's not the first

and it won't be the last.

Continually I seek out

the rooms where the music plays.

It is there that I am haunted

I am captured

I am where I know that I must be

then

I am alive


Alive, but ready to explode

Eager for my seams to burst

For my fragile frame to shatter,

spilling music everywhere.


I can't express

can't bring it to life

God, what would you have me to say?

You who made me for this

And formed me for this

You who know me

must know

what I must know to do


Oh, how music stirs my heart and inspires me to play, to create, to take pictures, to make movies, to write poems, to sing songs, to write stories, to bring all my dreams into life. But, I can't, or I won't. I am moses before the burning bush, but I don't want to settle for Aaron's voice. I am Samuel hearing my name called in the night; I don't want to fear authority punished. I am Zechariah with John's name on my tung, but I don't want to wait nine months. I am full of song but cannot sing. I have seen a vision but cannot speak.

I am suddenly a guitar player who finds he has no arms. I am a mute with something urgent that must be said, but I don't even know what it is. All I feel is the urgency of expression and the incapacity to express. I feel that everything that I am, everything that I was made for, shaped for, raised for, every experience in my small strange life has been for something great that I don't know, that I desperately want to know so that I can obey and be at peace. So that I like David, can finish God's purpose in my generation.


But,

I tell Him that I can't. I make no effort to train for that which might be necessary. I have not taught my fingers which strings to hold and which ones to strum. I left the piano on the stage of my junior high school. I dabbled in everything and mastered nothing. I left research unwritten, photos in the dark room, and films on their tapes; images locked away on hard drives with stories untold. Destroyed by my own lazy response to being overwhelmed.


What will it take? I listen and read and watch everything that I can, trying to piece together what has been said, hoping to be fueled and inspired: hoping, hoping, hoping.

“Just start writing!” my mother always said to me, again and again, when I was overwhelmed by some scholastic writing assignment. Maybe that's what I'm doing now, in hopes that something will come to life out of all this jumbled mess.

4 comments:

  1. The second best time to plant a tree is now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - me too. But starting somewhere is a good place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your poem--it reminded me of a sonnet that is dear to my heart. John Milton was in his 40s and going blind when he composed it.

    When I consider how my light is spent
    Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
    And that one talent which is death to hide
    Lodg’d within me useless, though my soul more bent
    To serve therewith my Maker and present
    My true account, lest he returning chide,
    “Doth God exact day labor, light denided?”
    I fondly ask. But Patience, to prevent
    That murmur, soon replies: “God doth not need
    Either man’s work or his own gifts: who best
    Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
    Is kingly; thousands at his bidding speed
    And post o’er land and ocean without rest:
    They also serve who only stand and wait.”

    He completed Paradise Lost over a decade later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But you've already come so far, because you have dared to start yet again...open to failure as well as success.

    ReplyDelete