Sunday, November 14, 2010

Eat More Bread

I decided that I would try to bake a different loaf of bread each week this fall. I love having a big kitchen for baking and cooking, and plenty of friends to share the food with!

So far I've made Zucchini Pecan bread, two loaves of pumpkin bread, Country French Bread, and Pizza. I guess Pizza's not really a loaf, but it still falls in the bread category. This week I'll try an Artisan French Bread.

I've been getting the recipes from Allrecipes.com, and then been making variations as necessary. I don't think I've followed any of them exactly. I didn't have wheat germ for the pizza dough, the temps and times couldn't be followed exactly for the rising of the french bread, Icrushed the cloves myslef and added allspice to the Pumpkin Loaf, and I used half brown sugar and made nut substitutions on the Zucchini Loaf.

Here's the Zucchini Pecan Loaf sitting on a make-shift cooling rack of knife handles.Since Jocey's allergic to walnuts, I substituted pecans. In the background you can see what's left of the French Bread. It didn't rise like I expected, probably because it was only 60 degrees in my kitchen, and the (faux?) granite counter tops tend to hold the freezing cold night-time temperatures. It still tasted great, but ended up more like a Focaccia bread.

Here are links to the recipes, if you feel inspired. They've all been quite good so far.

Zucchini Bread

Pumpkin Bread

Country French Bread

Whole Wheat and Honey Pizza Dough

1 comment:

  1. Ok you and Jocey are too cute blog posting your different recipes. I think the cold weather and yucky cafeteria food must inspire you. Love it! And the not following the directions thing comes from mom. I do the same thing and things usually turn out pretty good. You gotta make it your own. Hope you guys are coming down for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete