Monday, January 28, 2008

Macgyver is still there.

Yesterday, I drove down to Fresno to do some shopping, sit in a coffee shop, and watch a movie in the theater. My first stop was Costco; I got what I needed and also a good book and a case of fresh mangos, then headed out to my truck. Oh, the frustration of habits born of life at Hume Lake. I had locked my key in my car. There is was, clearly stuck in the ignition with the red HPI bracelet hanging down, taunting me from outside. Fortunately, the rain had briefly let up, yet still my heart started rushing with adrenaline.

My mind started racing through options and possible solutions to my situation. I was by myself, I had no AAA roadside assistance to help me, or a friend in another car with AAA. I went through an inventory of what "tools" I had in my possession. A credit card, Costco card, Drivers license, a Hume 2 and 3 key on a metal ring, and a shopping cart with bread and eggs, The Kite Runner, juice, and a new Optima RedTop car battery. I looked around for a hanger or some other metal object in the parking lot- nothing. I checked all my windows and doors- closed and locked. Suddenly, I realized that the new car battery that I just bought had a convenient plastic carrying handle. A carrying handle which conveniently would double as a Slim-Jim in situations such as these. I removed that handle, and worked at the rear quarter window of my truck for about ten minutes. It took me longer than I thought it would, but I worked the long gray plastic handle in between the glass and the rubber seal along the top edge of the triangle shaped window, then slid it down to the plastic release that opens the window just an inch for ventilation. I was able to pop the catch open, then fold the handle out and around so the window opened. That little inch was all I needed. Then, I used the plastic again, to remove the handle from the steel pin that it hinged upon so that the glass was completely loose on one side. Them, I reached in and unlocked my door. There it's as easy as that. Now you can break into my car, too!

The only casualties were the incriminating looks from upper middle class Costco customers as I broke into a car, and a few drops of blood on my hand from a scrape as I was manouvering the plastic on the latch. A few drops of blood that I was very conscious of as my next stop was shopping at the Nordstom Rack. I felt very out of place among the high class bargain shoppers of Fresno with blood still on my hands from who knows what heinous crime.

As I finished, and got into my truck, I suddenly realized what a rush that it all was! How fun it was to feel stuck and helpless, only to make a way out. Macgyver was still there, even though I hadn't seen him come out in quite a while. I almost wondered if I had unconsciously locked my keys in my car on purpose merely for the sake of a little adventure.

I guess I'll never know for sure.

2 comments:

  1. You got the car out of that deep sand dune - I have no doubt that you could do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm...i think macgyver has always been there...and i'm going with the theory that you did it subconsiously. Its sounds very plausible.

    ReplyDelete