Monday, January 28, 2008

Uncommon Courtesy

I walked into the Fresno In-N-Out fifteen minutes before they closed in the first morning hours of last night. I was hungry, had a Christmas gift card to spend, and a long snowy drive ahead of me. I ordered two cheeseburgers with extra veggies, onions grilled, and a cup of coffee. The drive-thru was full, and the dinning room was just starting to empty out. I returned the obligatory “Have a good night” with a genuine “Thank you, how is your night?” It was nice to hear a real response, as the man working the register took a breath and looked up from his routine. I bid him good night, then settled down with my Sunday edition of the LA Times and cup of coffee.
He brought my food right to my table, instead of the usual call-to-pick up at the counter. I thanked him, but was not too surprised, since I was by this time the last customer in the room. Ten minutes later I had finished one burger and was immersed in a story about the Russian spy who allegedly poisoned British double-agents in a European hotel, when I was startled by a voice from across the room. “How's your coffee; is it cold?” Not one to complain, even if it had been cold fifteen minutes ago when I first got it, I hesitated in my response. “It's not hot. I guess it's a little cold—“ “Brew a fresh pot of coffee!”, he shouted into the back, “What kind do you want? Regular?” “Yeah, regular would be great.” Wow, they were pretty much closed, probably not going to get another customer, and here they were brewing a fresh pot of coffee for me the last customer. I didn't even ask for it. Of course my coffee is going to be cold after sitting around reading a newspaper like I had been, what was I supposed to say?. Eight minutes later, I was back in the newspaper, when suddenly, he was there at my table. “Can I dump that out and fill it up for you?” as he took my cup, then returned it with piping hot, fresh coffee.

That man showed me uncommon, undeserved, and unexpected character last night. What a different world this would be if that were more... common.
I left wondering if he knew Jesus Christ, because that's the kind of selfless behavior that could lead a man to the cross.

1 comment:

  1. great story! do me a favor and call 1-800-786-1000 and report this to In N Out. It might be a great way to return the favor. They take comments very seriously.

    i miss you nathan, glad to read your blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete