Tuesday, July 15, 2008

mo Róisín Dubh



She came with that name, but I couldn't have thought of a better one. Róisín Dubh is Gaelic and means Black Rose. According to Wikipedia it is the title of a famous Irish song from the 16th century. (translated to English by Pádraig Pearse [Patrick Pearsey].

Monday was a beautiful day on my boat with David and Rachel. I spent part of the morning fixing a seat/winch support and getting the boat ready to sail. We didn't get into the water until the early afternoon. Just as we were heading out of the channel into the open ocean, the eyelet at the top of my jib sail broke and the jib came fluttering down. Fortunately I had a new outboard motor and we were able to use that to push out of the channel, against the wind. Sailing was slow going south along Point Loma with only the main sail, and we ran across several kelp beds along the way. David and I both took turns diving into the water. We used the motor all the way back in along with the main sail so we could get back in time for dinner with the whole family. The sunset was amazing from my car window as we drove back to Escondido. It looked like Afrika, only with a smaller sun, and less orange.

[Click on a photo while the slide show is playing to take you to the full image on Picasaweb]

No comments:

Post a Comment