Monday, December 8, 2008

Sometimes Heaven Is Closer Than You Think

There's a place off the coast of Scotland that the locals call "Iona". It is commonly referred to as "a thin place". It's a place, like many where people claim that there is not much between you and God. The veil that separates this world from the other world is thin. 
I've always thought that, if nothing else, that's a really cool thought. God is always there, or here. But, we are not always aware of His presence. There are moments and places where that awareness is reality. 


I was feeling that today. I would have said, "for no particular reason." But, after a little reflection, I realized a few things. First, I live in a thin place. Hume is a place that God has set apart for His work. Everything about this place is designed to make God as known as possible, from the natural beauty and awe-inspiring landscapes to the faces and words that are shared with each person that comes through, even every video that I make. Second, the room that is my office used to be the prayer room, built on the back of the original chapel building. It's a small, upstairs room with a pitched ceiling that comes down nearly to the floor on both sides. 


Today we prayed.
It changed my day.

1 comment:

  1. it changed mine too. and I can't thank you enough for praying.

    ReplyDelete