Thursday, December 4, 2008

Why does this sound so exciting to me?

Cruise ship stranded in Antarctic

23:20 GMT, Thursday, 4 December 2008
A cruise ship carrying 122 people has run aground on the Antarctic coast, the Argentine navy has reported.

Is there something wrong with me that I long for this kind of adventure?

Yesterday was my "Sabbath" day. It's a day when the organization that I work for pays me to take a day to spend time alone seeking God. They provide each of us with one night and the whole next day in a room in one of our fancy lodges. I didn't want that. Instead, I chose to spend mine outside in the forest. I drove my truck up above the Huckleberry rock crawl, parked it and hiked up and up about five miles until I reached the top of the peak on Park Ridge, past Panoramic Point. It was a 200ยบ view towards the east at around 8000 feet. I spent the night in just a sleeping bag on a tarp under the stars. It was beautiful, and the sunrise the next morning was the most spectacular I have ever seen. The temperature dropped probably close to zero, and I was wakened by a mountain lion sniffing around me in the middle of the night. I don't think I've ever been so scared. I read Psalm 19 and 104 out loud when I woke the next morning. I spent the day reflecting on my fear, and what it really means to trust God with my life. "If I believe that God is in control, then why is my heart beating so loudly right now?" I read through the Gospel accounts of Jesus' times alone with His father. What does it mean to depend on the Father for everything? To know His word, to obey His word, to love Him, to love my neighbor.

I loved the whole experience. I would do it again if I could.

5 comments:

  1. you are an adrenaline junkie. or maybe a Holy Spirit junkie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the beauty of your life—living where you are and doing what you do—is that you easily can do it again!

    Only next time, invite someone to enjoy it with you since it won't be a Sabbath. Someone who might also need to get out, away, under open skies and bright stars so he can remember his passions. :)

    Thanks for the reminder. seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds great! (Except the part about the temperature, the hard ground, and the mountain lion!)
    The reason your heart was beating so loudly was that if God had not made you able to experience fear, you would not be able to experience trust, either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ethan- "Please do not do that again! You were lucky because you didn't get eaten. Did you go to the snack bar yet?" Andrew - "Well, um, I just want to say, We will be doing that tomorrow except in our box at Gramma's. And I'm gonna ask Gramma if she has any tarps. Also, I just need some equipment and I'll be done."

    ReplyDelete