Sunday, April 18, 2010

Walking to see the other side of the city.

I spent my last night here in Bermuda walking around the city of Hamilton. I wanted to walk off the beaten path to see the other side of things. I wanted to find the pictures that would never make their way onto a postcard.
I saw the homes and car dealerships, the dirty streets, the schools, the hardware store, the late night grocery store with families on scooters picking up some last minute groceries for breakfast in the morning. I watched the sun set behind the twin smoke stacks of a power plant and the steel skeleton new construction. I almost got hit by a bicycle with no lights. I found the Bacardi House with its colored fountains and bat-wing emblem. I saw a run down school play ground with barbed wire fences. I found a Catholic Cathedral from a two or three centuries ago. I watched the night-shift workers paving asphalt on the busiest corner on Front Street.
Tonight is a warmer night than most of the others I've experienced on this trip. It's actually quite beautiful.
There's been a lot going on. It was good to get out and just give my self some alone time to think and sing and pray... and wander. My feet are a little tired. I'm not sure how far I walked, probably seven or eight miles. Hopefully I'll sleep well this night before another long flight.

I took lots of pictures. I'll post them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment