Saturday, October 20, 2007

Why I Am Here

Some one asked, and I realized that I hadn't made it clear what I am doing here in Thailand.
So, here's what I'm doing:
Hume Lake puts on camp in different locations around the world. It's part of their Off-site and International Ministry. There are 25 of us on the team; most of us have worked at Hume during the past year, and a few of us still currently work at Hume. We are here from October 16-26. We just finished running a four-day camp for 160 Junior High students, and just started another four-day camp for 260 High School students. Most of the kids are MKs from Grace Internaional and CMI in Chaing Mai, Thailand, though there are many from other schools and some individuals as well. The kids represent an expatriate international community larger than just Thailand and more than just MKs. They are all Third Culture Kids, owning a culture of their own that is different from their parents and from the community in which they live. We get the opportunity to put on a western style camp, much like a regular week in the summer at Hume Lake.
We are using BanKlangDoi, a resort near Chaing Mai as our camp. It is a resort, so our "Hume in a can" takes on a bit different flavor here. The kids stay in fancy houses, and we eat really good restaurant-style Thai food. We play games like KaJobe Kan-Kan on a lawn that is highly ornamental. A few of the very few difficult things about this trip are the hot, muggy, moist weather and the insects and reptiles of all kinds and sizes the seem to get into every thing possible. I am currently sleeping under netting in a quaint, picturesque bamboo hut that is floating on a beautiful, yet mosquito infested pond.
Chris Simning is speaking on the parable of the talents; we are using the Many Return of Honorable Grasshopper Fighting videos that Hume used two summers ago for their high school theme. Robbie Conrad is leading worship with a band that he put together from the San Diego area. Camp has been going very well, so far.
My responsibilities are running sound for all the meetings, lead counseling, helping with recreation, and anything else that might need to happen. I'm supper busy most of the day, and very tired every night. I love this kind of ministry for so many different reasons! This just fits who I am, so well. This is the kind of thing that I was made to do. I just finished going around to all the guys rooms that I am responsible for, laying down the rules, and spending time getting to know them a little bit. I think this was the best first night of lead counseling that I've ever had. I felt like I really connected with the students, and I wanted to spend so much more time talking with them, already, about what God was doing in their lives. This is a very critical time for them, and I know that God wants to do great things in and through them. It's very exciting to hear and see that, being even just a small part of what God is doing.
Keep praying for us these next few days, please. There is so much that could distract from what needs to be heard. And, there is a larger spiritual battle that is happening in this part of the world. Not all of these students know Jesus. We are here to make Jesus known, and there are many who would try to stop that from happening. Do battle with me, even as I am...
on my knees
praying with you with one God and One purpose.

2 comments:

  1. keep writing. I love reading everything...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, now i know what you've been up in Thailand :) Great brief description and I see you are passionate about what you are doing. Today my favorite Pastor in Swaziland was teaching on Identifying our Purpose that God predestined us to do and one of the ways was what we are passionate about. He defined passion as what we enjoy, what we get excited about, and you my friend are excited about what you get to do...that's a gift, so many don't know what God has purposed for them in their life. Praise God!!

    ReplyDelete