Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Collective




These guys are one of my favourite groups of filmmakers.

They have a brilliant eye for new and unconventional perspectives; the camera work and cinematography are amazing. You don't even need to have an interest in extreme mountain biking to appreciate the beauty of their work. They started as a group of guys from the Pacific Northwest who were kind of outdoorsy and really into innovative ways of making movies. Their other close friends were kind of outdoorsy and really into BMX and mountain biking.



These guys would build trails in the trees, but not on the ground, up in the air forty feet with little planks that they would ride and jump from tree to tree. The film guys decided to come up with a way to shoot it and strung up ziplines to follow the path of the bikes while holding the camera to get the shots.


That was just the start of their adventures.







Their second film, ROAM, follows several riders as they travel around the world attempting "lines" that have never been tried before. I saw ROAM at the Ken Theater down in Kensington, San Diego several years ago. The guys were all there and I got to hang out afterwards a bit and talk to them about what they had made. They've since moved on to another film, Seasons. I just ordered it and am very excited to see it. I think it looks to be even more amazing. I expect nothing less.


Click on any of the titles if you want to check out video teasers and other photos.

2 comments:

  1. Eric Hann and I already tried some of the zipline filming stuff on a project up in Big Bear last year.(or was it the year before... too long ago anyway)
    I may try some of the techniques with the filming things like our Bike Jump, the tube run, or the screamer. We'll see.
    As far as Mountain Biking like that, I don't think I'll ever do stuff like that... again. Unless I'm on a motorcycle, maybe. I don't think I have the foolishness bordering on courage to try jumps like they do.
    Though, it is fun having Hume be a "Home" that I can try stuff like that. ;-)

    ReplyDelete