Monday, September 29, 2008

If Nobody Speaks

    He says my daughter, and all the love he has is wrapped up in the tone of his voice when he says those two words, he says my daughter you must always look with both of your eyes and listen with both of your ears. He says this is a very big world and there are many many things you could miss if you are not careful. He says there are remarkable things all the time, right in front of us, but our eyes have like the clouds over the sun and our lives are paler and poorer if we do not see them for what they are.
    He says, if nobody speaks of remarkable things, how can they be called remarkable?
    He looks at her and he knows she doesn't understand, he doesn't think she'll even remember it to understand when she is older. But he tells her these things all the same, it is good to say them outloud, they are things people do not think and he wants to place them into the air.
~Jon McGregor, If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things

3 comments:

  1. I would like you to live closer and accompany me to this tomorrow night.
    http://www.litquake.org/the-festival/opening-day/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, oh that I could. That looks amazing. I don't think I've ever really been to anything like that, ever. I was reading down the list, and I noticed that my favourite creator-of-stories-who-is-also-stil-alive, Neil Gaiman is doing a reading from his his new book and then Q&A about his new film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever you're ready, San
    Francisco waits for you.

    ReplyDelete