Monday, April 7, 2008

Okinawa: Monday PM


This is Hume’s first time running camp with military kids and our first time doing it in Japan. We were a bit afraid it would be difficult to gain the enthusiasm and trust that we would normally have from a youth group at Ponderosa in the summer that has been coming for years and years. Usually the first few days of a new camp like this are the most difficult. We expect very little audience response at first, hardly any participation in worship, and spirited recreation has to be modeled by our staff and counselors.
This was way different than we expected:

The students arrived with so much energy that I felt like we had been coming here for years. There was screaming and yelling as they entered chapel on Sunday night. I got chills in anticipation while the Viking music was playing. We just finished our first day of recreation, and it was wild! I can’t wait for tomorrow!
Tonight, our time of worship was filled with energy and Jeff was able to teach in the midst of the singing on how to worship God. PJ talked about three of the most important things to believe about God: That He loves you, He is all-powerful, and He has all wisdom and knowledge. I’ve heard him teach this before at the Joshua Wilderness Institute, it was life changing then for many of the students, and I think it was tonight as well. We’ll see in the next couple of days as he challenges them to make public decisions and changes in their lives.

This island really is beautiful. Yes, it does look a lot like Point Loma, and the buildings look like my high school, but the beaches are tropical, even if the water is a bit colder than most of the campers expected. I got to spend some time shooting video down at Ora Wan beach this afternoon and I probably should have worn sunscreen, especially after spending all morning in the sun while shooting rec. I’m a bit toasted, but it will tan. I thought the water was warm though I only had time to jump in a swim around for a few minutes; it felt good to get salt water on my skin and sand between my toes.

I’ll be teaching a seminar Wednesday morning I've titled it Storytelling for the Master. I’m using 2 Samuel 12 and a few of Jesus’ parables as well as my own life story. I’m excited to be able to teach, even though I’m slightly nervous.

1 comment:

  1. i am so jealous. i loved japan. would go back any day.

    i'm coming to hume lake with my girlfriend. i hope you're there. june 29th, it's a sunday. we're going to sleep in the car that night somewhere at hume, and continue our travels the next morning. i hope you're still there!

    -jon

    ps. i miss you.

    ReplyDelete