Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Okinawa: Tuesday AM

A real hummer just drove past me, and last night there were jets (F-18, maybe?) flying over head, about twenty of them. So far the only things that really makes this place different from America are cars and the drinks. Most of the cars are so tiny, compact, sporty, and well designed that I want to take one home with me. There is usually nothing bigger than a Toyota Scion, most of the cars have 12" rims, if that. And, they still manage to seat four comfortably. The vans are tall and skinny, like cigarette boxes turned up on their side, seating 14, but probably only running on 3 cylinder engines and getting ridiculously good gas mileage. I've seen a few Nissan Skylines, and several 4x4 lifted minivans that seems to be stock. I'd love to get a grip of them for Hume, if it were legal in CA. There are vending machines everywhere with coffee drinks, energy drinks, fruit smoothies, aloe vera drinks, all kinds of strange things cold and sometimes hot out of the same machine. And, they are pretty cheap. Some of the energy drinks are apparently illegal in the states; they tasted better than ours, maybe that's why.
I'm sitting outside of the chapel right now while today's round of seminars are being taught. It's hazy and overcast like it has not been the last two days. I don't think it will burn of, but it might. I guess two beautiful, clear sunny days are more than enough of a blessing. I hope it doesn't start raining, that always makes the process of shooting video more... interesting.
We played a few night rec games last night. I'm my ankles are sore from running around, geting chased while videoing. That may have been because I was running backwards.

I better run off to rec now, the students are starting to stream out of the chapel and back to their barracks (cabins?) to get ready for recreation.

No comments:

Post a Comment