Monday, November 10, 2008

PNG 2




Shortly after the flight from Tokyo... there's a reason they call it a "Redeye" flight.
After flying into the airport at Port Moresby, I had my first cup of real PNG Blue Mountain Coffee. It's good. Very good, but still maybe overly hyped by people that love coffee.
We've been at the Lapilo base, where the Numonoi Academy is for the last two days. Tomorrow we'll be flying into a tribe that just recently had the gospel presented to them. I think that will be incredible.

We are all staying in a dorm style house and have been eating meals, split up in groups at three different homes with different families each meal. It's really fun getting to know them and hang out with kids in their own context. We start camp on Thursday at a different location.

I found a new favourite animal. I wish I could take it home with me. It's a marsupial, related to the possum, but incredibly cute! It's called a Cuss Cuss in Australia and a Capul in tribes around here. It's so mellow and friendly. It's soft and cuddly, but has a tail like a possum's that it can hang by. It's feet have opposable thumbs. And, it's eyes are huge.

5 comments:

  1. The Capul is so cute!! I love his little ears... I think that you should pack him up in your carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I take it this red eye is a different one that you had at half-dome?

    You should sneak that cutey in your heavy carry-on with all that camera equipment. It would be a great addition to the Pearsey cabin.

    Maybe they used bad water on that coffee. How fun to try exotic coffee! If you can, bring a sock-full for us to try at thanksgiving:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PNG Blue Mountain Coffee Huh? I've tried Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee. I wonder if it's a similar concept. But I didn't think it was as awesome as people said it was either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the Blue Mountain Coffee here is supposedly exactly the same as the stuff in Jamaica. It was brought over here by the people who first grew it in Jamaica. Of course, the surounding plants and soil all add to its flavor. I got to tour two of the Coffee factories here. One of them supplies beans to Starbucks. It was facinating. I got some pretty good video of it. I'll bring some back for people to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooo

    I wanna try some of that coffee!!

    save some! :)

    also, I'm gonna add my vote for you to bring that cute little darling back in your carry on. totally possible man.......

    on your mark, get set, go!!

    ReplyDelete