Friday, January 23, 2009










I went riding in October with some buddies from Hume and just found these photos on my old camera that I always keep with me in my backpack.



We found what's known around Hume as "The Donkey Engine". It actually is not a donkey engine, but rather a Willamette geared steam engine. There's some speculation about it. We did find a set of steel plates that came from the donkey engine that may have been sitting near it at one time. It was hauled out to be renovated as a museum piece some years ago, according to Chuck. This one was a fairly permanent structure, unlike the donkey engines that would drag themselves all around the forest to help out with hauling logs. It was located near camps six and seven off the Camp 7 road.



I also found this on Wikipedia:

Willamette Iron Works was a general foundry and machine business established in 1865 in Portland, Oregon, originally specializing in the manufacture of steamboat boilers and engines.[1] In 1904, the company changed its name to Willamette Iron and Steel Works, under which name it operated continually[2] until its close in 1990.

The works was very busy during both World Wars I and II, building small naval auxiliaries, minesweepers, patrol craft, submarine chasers, and non-self-propelled lighters. Between the wars, the shipyard concentrated on building small commercial vessels.[3]

During the 1920s, the company manufactured a geared steam locomotive known as the "Willamette", a Shay-type locomotive for use in logging operations in Washington and Oregon. These locomotives were of a unique design and are of great interest to old train buffs.

In the early 1970s, the company manufactured the first three turbine units for the third powerhouse to be built at Grand Coulee Dam.[4]

The company also made fire hydrants for the city of Portland in the late 19th century.[5]

In 1945, after World War II ended, Willamette Iron and Steel continued as mostly a ship repair facility. Over the years, business dropped as larger shipyards grew, and Willamette finally closed in 1990.

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool! I knew right away when I saw the photos and before I read the text that it was some old logging thing but I don't think I remember seeing it in that old Hume book about the loggers. Very cool discovery.

    ReplyDelete