Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Irvine, CA

I'm sittin in the railway station
Got a ticket for my destination
On a tour of one night stands
My suitcase and guitar in hand
And every stop is neatly planned
For a poet and a one man band

Homeward bound
I wish I was
Homeward bound

Home, where my thoughts escaping
Home, where my music's playing
Home, where my love lies waiting
Silently for me

Everyday's an endless stream
Of cigarettes and magazines
And each town looks the same to me
The movies and the factories
And every strangers face I see
Reminds me that I long to be

Homeward bound
I wish I was
Homeward bound
Home, where my thoughts escaping
Home, where my music's playing
Home, where my love lies waiting
Silently for me

Tonight I'll sing my songs again
I'll play the game and pretend
But all my words come back to me
In shades of mediocrity
Like emptyness in harmony
I need someone to comfort me

Homeward bound
I wish I was
Homeward bound
Home, where my thoughts escaping
Home, where my music's playing
Home, where my love lies waiting
Silently for me
Silently for me
Silently for me
~Simon & Garfunkel, Homeward Bound


Okay, so I'm not really feeling that at all right now. (Well, maybe a little bit. But, just the general feeling of longing for home that keeps my eyes fixed on Jesus and my purpose secure in the midst of a constantly changing world. Okay, there's a little bit more of a specific longing, but I'm not without joy.) I just think it's a great song that keeps running through my head, 'cause I'm sitting at a railway station, and I do have a ticket for my destination...
Humeward bound? Terrible I know, I'll stop now.

I'm in Irvine. Waiting for a train.
I missed the earlier train that would be taking me back up to Fresno with my final destination for today (at least as far as I can plan) to be Hume Lake.
I came down with the team that is putting on the Vision dinners, but just for the first two in San Diego and Escondido. They went very well, but they are the only vision dinners that I've ever seen. It was fun seeing people watch the video that I made, and it was fun reconnecting with so many friends and family that have such a rich history of involvement with Hume. I wish I could continue on the tour through SoCal to see even more friends and family.

But, I'm heading back up for a meeting tomorrow morning and a cold dive back into the next projects on my list at work.
Train to Union Station in LA, Bus over the Grapevine to Fresno. I won't arrive till 11:50pm in Fresno, and Sarah, so, as am I, used to late night schedules of work, is perfectly on schedule to drive down and pick me up. Wonderful. But, it's still going to be a long stretch of traveling ahead of me.

I learned yesterday, from my sister, that if you have a Starbucks gift card and register it, you can get two hours of free internet per day at any starbucks. So, I bought myself a gift card, then walked outside and registered the card (yes, you can do that on their network before actualy having an account to login with.)
So, I'm not actually at the railway station any more. I'm down the street at the starbucks. I still have two and a half hours before my train boards, so I'm thinking about walking over to the Irvine Spectrum (1.5 miles?).

For some reason I decided to bring home my black fedora that I've been keeping at my parents house. All I have for luggage are a backpack and a satchel, which leaves my head as the only place to keep the hat for transportation. So, I look like Indiana Jones, or... something. I'm getting looks everywhere I go. I'm not sure what to think of myself.

Nobody wears hats like this anymore.

9 comments:

  1. And you get free refills:)

    ha, that's a hot hat Mr. Jones. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JUST DON'T MISS IT AGAIN; REMEMBER OLD FAITHFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I recall...
    I was the only who saw Old Faithful.
    And, I saw it least three times in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't run as fast as you; I was towing the three little ones around with me (were they 2,4,and 6, or 4, 6, and 8 that trip?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edward says that hats like yours are making a comeback, and that it is a clear sign that we are headed back into another economic depression, because last time people wore hats like that.... Well, remember it was Edward.
    Great job on the video, and we already miss you on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your two nephews have fedoras and love them! They are definitely back in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the hat is great. people should wear hats like that everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!! I'm in your blog.haha...

    okay.. That song is probably one of my favorite ever written.

    ReplyDelete