Thursday, January 29, 2009

Irvine Train Station

I know it's just a train station 
in a city that I thought was ugly.
But sometimes 
you just have to make the most of an opportunity.


 
What ever happened to 50¢?



 
Original Pinkberry with Mangos
Dinner and a View


There were two girls who sat in front of me on the train. I was pretty tired and passing in and out of sleep, but I overheard bits and pieces of their conversation. They were from Australia, and I could tell that they were visiting Los Angeles for the first time. I was sad that I didn't talk with them until the end of the trip. They were traveling for three weeks in North America before living in Dublin, Ireland for 18 months. They were taking the MTA from Union Station up to Santa Monica that night to stay at a hostel. With two very large pink suitcases that they could barely get out the door of the train,they asked me if the bus to Santa Monica was safe. 
I've taken that route several times: it's dangerous, but only if you get off the bus. 
It's an adventure and that's what they came here for. 
They wanted advice on places to go, things to do, how to be safe... I wished I had more than two minutes to answer their questions. I wished to be a stranger who is kind.
But I had a different bus to catch.

The rest of the trip was less enjoyable.
I think I've lost my faith in the public transportation system. There were only six of us on the bus from LA to Fresno. Six people in a huge bus that can't get more than 4 MPG. I had paid for a bus ticket that almost costs the same as renting a car and filling it with gas. The A/C was stuck on the whole time. It wasn't so bad in LA but once we climbed up to the snow level on the Grapevine and down into the chilly central valley, I was freezing. We stopped in Bakersfield and had to wait on the bus for over an hour while the mechanic checked it out. They finally moved all six of us to another bus with another driver. I didn't get to Fresno until 12:30am.

I want so badly to believe in the public transportation system. It is almost dead in California.
It's not like believing in God. God is always there, always working, being God, always the same whether you believe or not.
It's more like believing in Tinker Bell.
But...



Is anybody else clapping?

1 comment:

  1. Every time a bell rings, an angel get his wings...better than Tinker Bell.

    beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete